16 April 2010

I'm still excited

I watched the second half of the debate last night, and I have to say that I am still excited. I'll definitely be watching the next one.
I'm less convinced that Clegg was the clear winner than some commentators seem to be, but I do think he edged it. I think a large part of this is down to simple human nature; let me explain with a few descriptive words about each candidate from my perspective:
Gordon Brown - uncomfortable on live TV, apologetic, uncertain, false smile
David Cameron - young, posh, ruthless, posh, conveniently silent, posh
Nick Clegg - young, honest, normal, middle-class, honest, open, honest
People want to identify with the person they choose, and this often means finding the person most similar to them. On the descriptions above, and my own misconceptions about myself, I identify most closely with Nick Clegg.
Of course, this is only a small part of the motivation for voting, and the rational part of the brain will kick in for many people, but a lot of people will vote on the basis of this kind of instinctive judgement.
This makes my think (rather cynically, but probably accurately) that the LibDems had better debate coaching, and that perhaps Nick Clegg is more gifted in this particular art and therefore more receptive to the coaching. It doesn't necessarily mean that he would be any better than the other 2 as a Prime Minister.
Bring on the next one - I like seeing them squirm!

No comments:

Post a Comment