15 April 2010

A heated debate

Having recently watched the famed 'debate episode' of the West Wing, I am actually quite excited about the prospect of a TV debate between the main political party leaders. The West Wing episode I refer to was a live episode where Jimmy Smits' chartacter Matt Santos takes on the wiley Senator Vinick, played by Alan 'Hawkeye' Alda. The two candidates agree, at the beginning of the debate, to abandon the formal rules. Instead they have a good old fashioned 'heated debate' (who remembers Mrs Merton?)!
I heard on Radio 4 this morning that the real-life UK debate will follow quite strict rules, and I'll be very interested to see how they all do. Part of this is down to novelty; if it becomes a regular feature of British politics, I'm sure it will get boring. For now, though, I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment