30 January 2009

Death of a legend

I just read on the BBC website that the legendary Bill Frindall, or 'Bearders', has died. I've followed cricket now for many years, and Test Match Special is my staple source of live cricket coverage (after a brief dalliance with Sky Sports).

For those less familiar with the game, the scorer is a skilled and somewhat elevated role with great responsibility. You need to know all the rules, have endless patience and good eyes (and/or a pair of binoculars).

Bill provided analysis for TMS, and was rarely caught short when asked for an obscure statistic - and people tried very hard to challenge him.

TMS won't quite be the same without Bearders. He'll be missed by many.

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine how they will cope without his endless source of useful / useless facts. Somehow I suspect the computerised replacement won't have quite the same left-field input.

    ReplyDelete