2 December 2008

Good news for photographers

Finally, the police have got around to publishing clarification about the 'stop and search' powers relating to photography in public places. Amateur Photographer have details here, but the essence is as follows (my emphasis added in bold):
'The Terrorism Act 2000 does not prohibit people from taking photographs or digital images in an area where an authority under section 44 is in place. Officers should not prevent people taking photographs unless they are in an area where photography is prevented by other legislation.'

'If officers reasonably suspect that photographs are being taken as part of hostile terrorist reconnaissance, a search under section 43 of the Terrorism Act 2000 or an arrest should be considered.

'Film and memory cards may be seized as part of the search, but officers do not have a legal power to delete images or destroy film.
As a person who has been asked to delete images in the past, I'm glad to see the clarification, and I hope it gets down to the PCSOs and Security Guards across the nation! I think I'll print a copy off for my camera bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment