16 September 2008

Dibley goes to Kazakhstan

This story about the rights for the Vicar of Dibley series being sold to Kazakhstan amused me. Partly because of the significant cultural differences between Dibley and Shymkent. But primarily because of this comment from the show's executive producer Jon Plowman, "This is brilliant. I have always felt that the people of Kazakhstan were the ideal audience for the vicar."

By the way, did you know that Kazakhstan is the largest land-locked country in the world?

5 comments:

  1. What is 'no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no yes' in Kazakh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I'd be smart and find an online translator. Alas, English to Kazakh translation services are not readily available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ought to know the Kazakh... but anyway, a lot of people in Kazakhstan speak Russian instead of Kazakh. So it would be
    нет,нет,нет,нет,нет,нет,нет,нет,да
    [nyet... da]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rose, my mental image is now complete!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Google Analytics reveals that this post was actually read by someone in Kazakhstan yesterday. Woohoo for the internet - enjoy Dibley Kazakhstan!

    ReplyDelete