17 March 2010

Thinking about September

As some of you will know, the Lanky tribe will be moving south (and East) in the autumn for a major change in our lives. I've accepted a place at Westcott House (Cambridge) to train for the priesthood, and we'll be moving down there in September.

I've spent some time this week lining up a meeting with our potential landlord, and it occurred to me the other day that we will have to give notice on our current house this month! That means we have to start deciding moving dates and end dates for my current work. It really is starting to become very real! 

At the same time, though, both MrsLanky and I are excited by the opportunity to start something new when many of our peers are settling down. We're daunted by the move away from our home of 10 years (we're going to miss Lancaster), but also energised by the leap of faith we have chosen to make. We have no real idea where we'll be in 5 or 10 years time, and it feels great!

My key reservations about Cambridge are as follows:
  • No hills in Cambridge - mountain biking a bit dull
  • Lake District very far away
  • I will be a proper offcomer (northern terminology) for the first time in my life (MrsLanky knows all about this, being a Southerner in the north)
  • Less rain than the Northwest of England; possible withdrawal symptoms from the damp
  • Distance from my family (again, MrsLanky knows all about this one)
  • Probable unavailability of 'Lancaster Blonde' in Cambridge pubs
If you can think of any more, please add them to the comments...

No comments:

Post a Comment